Universal Print Driver Version 'UPD' 2.0
The UPD's purpose is to equip network administrators, and those setting up multiple printers, with a standardized one-driver solution.
This driver combines multiple printer drivers' attributes into a single PCL or PS driver,which significantly reduces installation times and simplifies driver configuration processes.
Click here for the Universal Print Driver's main page. (English Only)
Universal Printer Driver Details
|Operating and Printer Compatibility List ||Click here to view the lists of supported Operating System support and Lexmark Device Compatibility. (English only)|
|Driver availability||xref_DR21181_xref for the full Administrators driver package. Or, select your product via Lexmark.com and follow the "|
Downloads" path for individual "Add Printer" printer emulation drivers; e.g., PS, PCL, or HBP.
|Data stream||PCL Level 5, PCL XL, and PS Level 3 Emulations.|
|Architecture||System driver |
Found New Hardware Wizard
Add Printer Wizard (APW)
Standard install – Installation of basic features, including the PCL XL driver
Custom install – You choose the driver language or features that are compatible with your printer or that best suites your needs; available with web-downloaded administrator's package.
Driver Profiler (Available with web-downloaded administrator's package) to allow individual driver generated profiles for use in script installations
Batch deployments to clients and servers using the administrator package's Lexmark Script Install
Past UPD versions note: Plug-n-Play (Found New Hardware Wizard) driver installations are not easily supported because of the driver's generic naming convention. When installing the driver through Add Printer Wizard, select an existing USB virtual printer port. xref_HO3184_xref for USB installation instructions.
- Microsoft Standard TCP/IP ports
- Lexmark Enhanced TCP/IP ports
- LPR ports
- Web Services ports if available in operating system
|Options and Peripheral Detection||Automatic bidirectional configuration of installed options whether using Lexmark EnhancedTCP/IP ports or Standard TCP/IP ports|
- Standard Windows system driver certification with Server 2003 and Windows XP
- "Works with Microsoft ™ Windows Vista and Windows 7
Back to top
Benefits of the UPD
Potential benefits of using the universal driver include:
- Standard for nearly all currently marketed printers; however, exceptions include any host-based printers (HBPs) that do not directly support PCL or PostScript languages.
- Bi-directional communication with the printer; i.e., automatic configuration of printer options (trays, output expanders, etc.)
- PCL level 5 emulation support available, if needed
- Larger individual driver file size but smaller overall file size when compared to the installation of multiple printer drivers
- Reduce helpdesk or IT intervention to improve end-user productivity
- Maintains functionality for new printer options or add-on printer attachments that are connected to the printer
- Continued support with Driver Profiler and Script Install via web-downloaded administrator's driver package
- Support for Citrix and cluster server printing
- Flexible print path – supports both Lexmark Enhanced TCP/IP ports, Microsoft Standard TCP/IP ports and the new Travel Print* port
- Reduce or eliminate company or organizational certification requirements
- Simplify network administrator or IT organization's driver dissemination and control
- Job Accounting with capabilities for the purpose of billing client or departments
- Expanded language support for Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish geographies
* Thisprint monitor is located in the "UPD system administrator" driver-download package, and can be installed by choosing the CUSTOM installation path.
Back to top
Is this driver for you?
Use product-specific (non-universal) drivers that match your printer model type if the following applies:
- You have a certain model which lacks PCL-XL (PCL 6) Emulation driver.
- You have a new printer that has yet to have a Universal Printer Driver developed for it.
- A non-Lexmark printer or non-supported printer.
- You need a certain advanced driver feature not yet available with the universal printer driver (UPD).
Back to top
'Printing Preferences' Features
The tables below provide a summary of supported settings for each driver type. Press Ctrl + F on your keyboard to perform a search to locate a setting.
A '' indicates the driver emulation supports this feature or setting.
Printing Preference tabs
Print and Hold
|Features under "Layout" tab ||PCL XL||PS |
|Reverse page order (Formerly "Last Page First")|
|Print on both sides* (Duplex) |
|Multiple pages per side (N-Up) |
|Print & Load Custom and Eco Settings|
* Requires duplex option installed under Properties/InstallOptions and a capable printer.
|'Driver' Feature||PCL XL||PS|
|Resize options: None, Fit to paper size, Mirror||,||,,|
|Output bin selection|
|Staple (Front, Back, Dual, Dual Double)||*|
|Offset (On, Off) ||*|
|Hole punch (optional 2 hole punch)||*|
|Fold (PostScript driver only)||*|
|More Input Options: |
- Front or Back cover source selection
- First and last page source selection
*Requires Finisher option installed under Printer Properties > Install Options (Configuration); NOTE: Some Finishers are not capable of alternate staple and hole punch positions. Also, Fold and Booklet fold require installation of the booklet finisher option.
** Requires Color Printing installed under Printer Properties > Install Options (Configuration)
|Use same watermarks on all pages.|
|Use different watermarks on the first page.|
|Use different watermarks on odd/even pages.|
|Use same overlay on all pages.|
|Use different overlay on the first page.|
|Use different overlay on odd/even pages.|
Print and Hold
|Use logged-in user name.|
|Keep duplicate documents.|
|Confidential Print (PIN).|
* Default Factory Setting
Additional PostScript options under Other Options
|Optimize output format:|
|Language Level: 1,2,3|
|Print error information|
|Generate PostScript in driver (Disable PostScript Passthrough)|
Back to top
'Printer Properties' (Properties) Features
Press Ctrl + F on your keyboard to perform a search to locate a setting.
The UPD's Printer Properties consist of the following tabs:
A '' indicates the driver supports this feature or setting.
|Model, Features, Paper Available messaging|
|Quick-link to Preferences|
|Print Test Page|
|Share this printer.|
|Render print jobs on client printers.|
|List in the directory.|
|Enable bidirectional support|
|Enable printer spooling|
|Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster|
|Start printing after last page is spooled|
|Start printing immediately|
|Print directly to printer|
|Hold mismatched documents|
|Print spooled documents first|
|Keep printed documents|
|Enable advanced printing features|
|Printing Defaults... Preferences|
Both PCL XL and PS drivers have this tab.
Both PCL XL and PS divers have this tab.
|Update Configuration from Printer: Enabled or Disabled|
|Update Configuration "On Properties Open"|
|Update Configuration "On port change"|
|Update Now – Ask Printer to query printer for peripherals installed|
|Set Printer Model...(Automatic or Manual)|
|Installed/Configuration Options list|
|Form to Tray Assignment configuration|
|Show all system forms|
|Collation performance: Printer or host based|
Postscript (PostScript UPD only)
- Output Protocol: Tagged Binary or ASCII-85
- Advanced Options: Send Ctrl-D at start or end of job
Fax (PostScript UPD only)
Available to MFPs with PostScript driver only; the Fax or Fax Only configuration will have to be selected in order for this tab to appear.
Entry for the following fax configuration settings:
- Group faxes
- Dialing prefix
- Import fax contacts via CSV file or Windows Address Book .WAB file
- Edit, remove, or add individual contacts
Driver versions, for example: Lexmark Universal v2 PS3, 220.127.116.11, Copyright 1997-2011 Lexmark International, Inc. All rights reserved.
Back to top
xref_FA689_xref for the UPD 1.6.2 version of this article
xref_RE154_xref for 1.6.2 release notes.
Click here for the UPD v1.6 White Paper.
Back to top
Still Need Help?
If you require additional assistance, please see Contact information.
NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN).
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce call-back situations.
LEGACY ID: FA839