First check the more obvious reasons why a fax might fail to send to a recipient.
Correct fax number
Proper entry of the fax number on the numeric keypad
If using a fax shortcut to initiate the fax, verify the number was entered properly during fax shortcut creation.
Proper dialing prefix; for example, 9, 99, 991, 1...
Proper country calling code.
- The MFP's User's Guide.
- This can be downloaded from Lexmark.com.
Attempt to resend the document.
If successful, consider the following to prevent future send failures.
- Increase the number of redial attempts. (Automatic Redial)
- Increase the amount of time between redial attempts. (Redial Frequency)
- Reduce Max Send Speed if the problem continues.
Reducing send speed may be required if the recipients fax machine is connected to a digital phone line.
Click here for information on "How to Change Fax Redial Values."
|3||Reduce the Max Send Speed and then try to resend the document.|
Click here for information on "Max Send Speed."
Try to send the same fax to the same destination using a different fax machine in your area.
Question: Did the fax transmit from a different location within your work area?
|NO||You know the problem is not with the MFP.|
- Capture the Transmission Log, Fax Call, and Fax Job Logs. Older MFPs may have a separate Receive or Send Log. See Step 5.
- Identify any error codes and perform recommended actions to resolve the problem.
- Contact the fax recipient and notify them of this problem. See Step 6.
- Contact Lexmark Technical Support for additional diagnosis. See Step 7.
|YES||See next step.||Continue to capture additional information.|
|I do not have another fax machine available.||See next step.||Continue to capture additional information.||N.A.*|
|5||Obtain the Call Log or Fax Job Log and identify the error code.|
Click here for information on "Viewing a fax log".
Click here for Fax log status errors and suggestions.
Contact the fax recipient to report this problem and ask for or request the following:
- Ask the fax recipient to confirm the fax number.
- Fax device status; for example, busy, idle, intervention state, turned off, manual mode transmission.
- Request to receive log error information.
- Request the manufacturer and model of fax device.
- Ask if any recent receive issues have been reported.
- Ask if their fax machine is connected to a digital phone line or voice-over IP (VOIP).
|7||Contact Lexmark to further troubleshoot this issue.||Click here and obtain all required escalation information before calling Lexmark.|