- Explanation of the Cartridge Mismatch error
- Clear or Confirm the Error Message
- Check the Printer and Toner Cartridge Region Settings
- If the Toner Cartridge and Printer Regions Do
- If the Toner Cartridge and Printer Regions Match...
- Geography Quick Reference Chart
- Additional Assistance
Explanation of the Cartridge Mismatch Error
A 42 or TonerCartridge Region Mismatch error indicates that the installed toner cartridge is manufactured for a different geographic region than the printer. The printer and the toner cartridge each have a certain geographical code tagged to them, much like the coding on DVD players and DVDs. Both must be coded to the same geography in order for them to work together. If you install a toner cartridge that does not match the region of the printer, the printer will post a Cartridge Region Mismatch error.
There are four different geographical regions:
Regionalization also helps to protect users from counterfeit products, and to protect authorized dealers and distributors of Lexmark products from illegitimate dealers and brokers.
- USA & Canada (North America)
- Europe, Middle East, & Africa
- Asia & Pacific Region (Indonesia, Australia, etc.)
- Latin America (Central & South America)
Clear or Confirm the Error Message
Power the printer off. Leave it powered off for 20 seconds or more. Then power the printer back on and try printing again.
If the error continues, confirm that the message posted on the printer is a TonerCartridge Region Mismatch error.
- On the E350d, E352dn and E450dn (LCD panel)models, the Cartridge Region Mismatch error, or a 42 error, will be displayed on the printer screen.
- On the E250d and E250dn (LED light) models, this error will be indicated by a primary error where boththe ! light and the light will be on solid.
NOTE: For an explanation of the symbols and lights on the LED operator panel, xref_SO3868_xref or see the User's Guide (located on the installation CD).
If the error displayed is indeed a Cartridge Region Mismatch error, the printer region setting is different from the cartridge region setting. Check the region settings of the printer and the cartridge to see which one does not match the geography in which you are located. See Check the Printer and Toner Cartridge Region Settings below.
NOTE: If this error began after a brand-new toner cartridge was installed in the printer for the first time, power off the printer and reinstall the old toner cartridge. If the error goes away when you install the old cartridge, the new toner cartridge is the most likely cause of the error.
Check the Printer and Toner Cartridge Region Settings
Printer - Look inside the front cover for a label showing the printer's serial number and other printer information. (For directions on locating this label, xref_HO2979_xref.) Check the Region number on the label against the following numbers to find out which geographic region the printer corresponds to:1 = USA & Canada2 = Europe, Middle East, & Africa3 = Asia & Pacific Region4 = Latin America (Central & South America)0 or 9 = Undefined Region (see below)
Toner Cartridge - Look at the part number on the toner cartridge. The last letter of the part number tells you which geographic location the cartridge is intended to be used in.A = USA & CanadaE = Europe, Middle East, & AfricaR or P = Asia & Pacific RegionL = Latin America (Central & South America)W or G = Undefined (see below)
IMPORTANT! If either region code is Undefined, please contact Lexmark Technical Support for further assistance. See the Additional Assistance section at the end of this document for more information. Method 2:
If you are having problems locating the printer and/or cartridge region code, you can also find the geography settings of the printer and the toner cartridge on the Print Quality Test Pages. These pages can be printed using the printer's operator panel. Follow the appropriate link below for directions.
Print the Print Quality Test Pages.
- If your printer is an E250d(n) model, xref_HO3143_xref for directions.
- If your printer is an E350d or E352dn model, xref_HO2806_xref for directions.
- If your printer is an E450dn model, xref_HO2929_xref for directions.
Look on the first page of the Print Quality Test pages for a section labeled Cartridge Information. Click here for an example.
Look at the Cartridge Region and Printer Region entries. Each will have an associated numeric value corresponding to one of the regions listed below.
1 = USA & Canada2 = Europe, Middle East, & Africa3 = Asia & Pacific Region4 = Latin America (Central & South America)0 or 9 = Undefined Region (see below)
Check to see if the cartridge region matches the printer region. Then follow the applicable set of directions below.
IMPORTANT! If either region code is coming up as Undefined, please contact Lexmark Technical Support for further assistance. See the Additional Assistance section at the end of this document.
If the Toner Cartridge and Printer Regions Do
- If the printer is in the correct geographic region but the toner cartridge is not, first attempt to return the cartridge to the point of purchase and request a refund. You may inform the dealer that the cartridge sold to you is not intended for sale in your region. If the dealer cannot assist you, please contact Lexmark Technical Support for further assistance. See the Additional Assistance section at the end of this document. If you received this toner cartridge from a source other than an authorized Lexmark dealer, you will need to purchase a new toner cartridge. To order supplies in the U.S., contact Lexmark at 1-800-539-6275 for information about Lexmark Authorized Supplies Dealers in your area. In other countries or regions, visit www.Lexmark.com or contact the place where you purchased your printer.
- If the cartridge is in the correct geographic location but the printer is not, you will need to return the printer to its proper geographic location or else order toner cartridges that match the region the printer was designed to be used in. If this cannot be done or if the printer has been moved from its original geographic location, please contact Lexmark Technical Support for further assistance. See the Additional Assistance section at the end of this document.
If the Toner Cartridge and Printer Regions Match
If the toner cartridge currently installed is for the same region as the printer, the new cartridge may be defective. Do the following:
Power off the printer.
Install a different toner cartridge, new or used, if one is available. Make sure the last letter of the replacement toner cartridge part number matches the region of the printer. See Check the Printer and Toner Cartridge Region Settings above or the Geography Quick Reference Chart below for more information.
Power on the printer and try printing again.
If the error continues on more than one toner cartridge, the printer may require service. See the Additional Assistance section at the end of this document.
Geography Quick Reference Chart
| Geography/Region || Numeric Code || Cartridge Part Number (last letter only)|
| USA & Canada|| 1 || A |
| Europe, Middle East & Africa|| 2 || E |
| Asia & Pacific Region (Indonesia, Australia, etc.)|| 3 || R or P |
| Latin America (Central & South America)|| 4 || L |
If you require additional assistance, please close this window and locate Get In Touch with Lexmark! for contact information.
NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN).
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce callbacks.
LEGACY ID: SO3869