What You Will See
When you connect the printer or MFP to a computer that is equipped with certain USB host controller chipsets, you may experience one or more of the following conditions:
- -The operating system locks up.
- -Existing USB peripherals may cease to function.
- -The printer or MFP is not recognized by the operating system.
- -Attachment failure of other high-speed USB peripherals following successful printer connection.
- -Printer goes offline.
- -Strange characters or garbage print on printed page
- -Missing pages
Things to Try
NOTE: When purchasing a hub or additional USB cable to alleviate this issue, please make sure that such items are USB-IF certified for high-speed USB operation. Visit www.usb.org for details.
- -Try a different USB port on the computer.
- -Connect a USB cable of a different length.
- -If you have a USB hub available, connect it to the computer and then connect the printer to the hub.
- -Check with Intel or the host controller manufacturer for updated USB host controller drivers.
- -Adjust the USB Speed on the printer to Full Speed. Contact Lexmark technical support for assistance. See ' Contacting Lexmark' below.
How to identify a USB host controller chipset
In Windows operating systems, access the Device Manager.
Right-click on My Computer.
Click on Properties.
Click on the Hardware tab.
Click on the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click here for image.
Click on Start.
Click on Control Panel.
Click on System and Maintenance.
Click on System.
Click on Device Manger (found under Tasks in the left-hand column of the System menu).
Click on the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
In Macintosh operating systems, access the System Profiler.
Click on the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the Apple menu bar.
Click on About This Mac to display the OS Xversion, processor, memory information, the Software Update button, and the More Info button.
Click on More Info. Click here for image.
NOTE: This problem is not exclusive to Intel only and chipsets vary by manufacturer.
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support if you need additional assistance.
NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number ( SN). If you need help locating these,please click here, ( xref_SO4609_xref / xref_SO4610_xref).
Please call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving the printer.
LEGACY ID: SO4584