You notice that the print on the page is slightly crooked or skewed. It can shift as it goes from left to right or the entire text and/or image can be crooked on the page. See the two images for exaggerated examples.
These are a few possible causes for the issue:
- The side restraints inside the tray are not set correctly, thus allowing the paper to shift and feed in at a slight angle as it moves out of the tray.
- If you are using the Automatic Document Feed (ADF) scanner, the side restraints on the ADF are not set correctly, thus allowing the paper to feed into the ADF at a slight angle.
- If you are using the flatbed scanner, the sheet of paper is laid at a slight angle.
- If you are using a specialty media such as card stock, labels, or envelopes, it is slipping slightly on the rollers as it feeds through the printer.
- There is a build-up of paper dust or toner dust on one or more of the feed rollers.
- There is a damaged or worn set of feed rollers in the printer.
Note: The feed rollers must be replaced and the printer requires service.
- A part within the printer is out of alignment.
Note: This requires a service action on the printer.
Determine if the issue is scanner-related
The first action is to eliminate the scanning unit as part of the cause.
Note: If you are not using either the Automatic Document Feed (ADF) or the flatbed scanners when this issue occurs, skip ahead to the Solution section.
If you are using the ADF or the flatbed scanners, print a Network Setup page. To do this:
At the Ready screen, press the Menus button found in the lower right-hand corner.
A list of menu choices display. Select Reports. Another list of menus appears. Select Network Setup Page.
The printer prints one to three pages. Each of these pages has a border on them. Use these pages and the borders to see if they exhibit the same skewing issue.
- If the Network Setup pages print correctly, the cause of the skewing is with either the ADF scanner or with the flatbed scanner.
- If the Network Setup pages appear skewed as well, continue with the suggestions below.