Before you begin
Note: Firmware update is essential to optimize the performance of the printer. However, this procedure must only be performed when Lexmark Technical Support has recommended a firmware update. Recommendations are made by a technician if updating the printer firmware corrects a printer function or a printing anomaly.
Do the following before updating printer or MFP firmware:
- Download the .zip file to an easy-to-find location such as your Windows Desktop.
Note: Click here for steps on how to download the latest printer firmware.
- If you do not have a copy of WinZip, download this application to enable you to extract or expand the firmware file.
- Using WinZip, expand the file to your Windows Desktop or a destination directory that is easy to locate.
- Make sure that the printer is in a “Ready” state or in an “Invalid Engine Code” state.
- Double check for any option cards installed on the printer. If the printer has an option card installed, check whether there is an updated firmware version for the said option card and make use of that instead.
- Make sure that you have a working printer.
Warning—Potential Damage: Do not update the firmware if you are unsure about the presence of special code or code that is specific to a Downloadable Language Emulator (DLE). For more information, contact Lexmark Technical Support.